April, May June 2019
– On the first day of April in many countries of Europe, children…and even some adults…like to stick a picture of a fish on someone’s back as a joke or tell an almost-believable story which they finish by shouting “April Fool!”
– But in April, the feast of Easter is not an April Fool. For Christians, this festival reminds us that Jesus was condemned to death on a cross. He had done nothing wrong – he had simply said he was the Son of God. The religious people of his country asked for him to be crucified.
– These days, too, extremists in several countries persecute Christians, especially those who dare to openly declare that Jesus is truly the Son of God, the saviour, theway, the truth and the life. But we also need to be clear that Jesus did not stay dead. In the last book of the Bible, you can read, “I was dead but now I am alive forever”. It is Jesus himselfwho says this in Revelation 1:18.
– Another celebration for Christians: the ascension. On this day we remember that 40 days after Jesus was raised from the dead (the resurrection) and proved he was alive, He went back to Heaven, God’s House. Jesus came from heaven and went back to heaven, to the glory of God, to prepare a place for us to be with Him forever. At least…if that’s what we want!
– In May, Francine, Emiliya and Alan will go to Diego-Suarez in the northern region of Madagascar. It will be great to again see Roger and Hanta Rakotoarijao from “Midem“ and Emma from the association “Save the Street Children”. Together, we will meet with children and with churches. Our aim? To proclaim the good news of Jesus, so that they can live a new life.
– The first weekend of June sees children from several churches in Luxembourg come together “Around Jesus”. The activities are organised by the Grow-Up association.
– And yet another Christian festival: Pentecost. This celebration centres on the things that happened fifty days after Easter in Jerusalem. You can read about it in the Bible in the book of the Acts of the Apostles, chapter 2.
Just as Jesus had promised, the Holy Spirit came to fill those who had opened their hearts to Jesus. And it is still possible…for us…today! Awesome!